Undergraduate Research Opportunities

There are many opportunities for students to carry out research in the laboratory of a faculty member. A broad spectrum of state-of-the-art research activities are performed at Yale in the EEB department and in related departments including the Yale Medical School Medicine and the School of Forestry & Environmental Studies. This research is in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, cell biology, neurobiology, physiology, environmental sciences, plant science,  ecology and evolution. All interested students are encouraged to participate in research.

Students may work in laboratories for academic credit and/or experience. Financial support may be available in some cases, but students being paid may not receive course credit. The choice of a research laboratory should be made in consultation with faculty members and the director of undergraduate studies. 

Research Courses

During the academic year, students with DUS approval may take either of three research courses, EEB 495 and 496. These courses are primarily for students who are culminating their undergraduate experience by doing independent research to fulfill the senior requirement. It is possible for students who wish to do research earlier in their course of study to take EEB 475/476 before their senior year, but it does not substitute for other course requirements. EEB 475/476 counts towards the 36 credits required for the Yale College degree; but other than meeting the senior requirement, EEB 475/476, and all the research courses, do NOT contribute to satisfying the requirements for the major. For research courses, hours and typically arranged at the mutual convenience of the student and the faculty advisor.

Please note that taking EEB 475 at any time does not satisfy the lab requirement or the elective requirement for a course from EEB at 350 or above. Approval from the Yale College Committee on Honors and Academic Standing is required if certain limits are exceeded. A student must petition the committee for permission to enroll in more than one such course credit in any one term before the senior year or in more than two such course credits in any one term during the senior year. Permission is also required for a student to enroll in more than three such course credits in the first six terms of enrollment. In the petition the student must give sound academic reasons for exceeding these limits. Students taking EEB 475/476 are expected to spend at least 10 hours per week in the laboratory of a faculty member. This course can be taken more than once. Students must reapply each semester to be enrolled, and at the completion of each term, a paper must be submitted to their professor. This course fulfills the senior requirement if 2 semesters are taken in the senior year.  Students are expected to spend a minimum of 10-12 hours per week in the laboratory and to attend monthly discussion groups. Research should be conducted under the supervision of the same faculty. At the end of the course a written report on the research accomplished must be submitted before a grade will be given. EEB 495/496 is intended for senior students who wish to do intensive research for the B.S. Intensive
degree. It is a year-long course, two credits each term, in which students are expected to spend at least 20 hours per week in the laboratory. At the end of the course, students prepare a paper describing the research they completed. One grade is given at the end of the second semester.

Summer Research

Yale students can also perform research with a faculty member during the summer months, which allows students to devote full-time effort to a research project. Summer research enables students to continue research that was initiated during the previous academic year or to begin research that will be continued during the following academic year. Sometimes the faculty member has grant funds that can support students during the summer. Other possibilities for financial support can be found at http://science.yalecollege.yale.edu/fellowships-grants. Interested students should consult a member of the Yale faculty or the director of undergraduate studies. Academic credit is not granted unless the student is registered in (and paying tuition to) the Yale summer school. Summer research at other institutions is possible through several programs. More information can be found at: http://yalecollege.yale.edu/content/funding-opportunities. Yale does not award academic credit for research done at other institutions, even if done in the context of a course.

Open To: